Walk forward, into the world

by Ainzfern

7

Riki heaved another great sigh, cursing for the umpteenth time this evening, when he finally heard the sound of the heavy entrance gate set into the safe-house's outer walls beginning to roll back.

"Fuckin' finally..." Draining the last dregs of his coffee, Riki shook his head in irritation, marveling how in the hell Katze's commitment to deliver his next batch of files and up-links for de-coding and cracking 'earlier this evening' had somehow managed to turn into 'almost midnight'.

Again.

"Well," he muttered, ejecting the disc that he had previously been working on, "he'd better have a damned good excuse this time."

It wasn't the fact that Riki had been left with nothing to do. On the contrary, he had been working on decoding a series of entries from a hacked section of the united industries consumer profiles list all day.

But, Riki pinched the bridge of his nose and slipped the next disc into his terminal, it was as boring as hell to do, and he had really been hoping that his boss's arrival would have brought him something a little more interesting. At the very least, it would've brought a chance to take a breather, talk to someone for a while. Instead, Katze was late. Again. No phone call, not that Riki had really expected that kind of courtesy, but still, it had meant that he'd been stuck with nothing to do but this mindless repetitive shit all day and most of the night.

There were only so many exercise breaks a guy could take to shake up the monotony before that, too, became fuckin' boring.

He swore to himself as he peripherally saw the lights from Katze's car splash up briefly against the courtyard wall inside the safe-house compound... the next damned time Katze offered him 'an easy job to practice his decoding techniques on' Riki was going to tell him to cram it up his ass.

Maybe he really just needed to start pushing to get back into the field again. Katze seemed dead set against the idea of sending him out on message details but, the fact was, Riki was as fit again now as he ever had been, and being literally trapped inside the safe-house walls was starting to make him itch like hell.

He kept his eyes firmly fixed on his terminal screen when he heard Katze's light footfalls pause at the doorway to his room, honesty still too pissed off to bother turning around the greet the man. "So, you finally made it," he remarked sardonically as his continued working on the list of data streaming up the screen, "Don't tell me... you had to rescue a helpless puppy from drowning."

Behind him, Katze remained silent.

Shrugging, Riki smirked at the terminal screen. "What..? No come-back?" he picked up his empty mug, ready for a refill, and swiveled his chair around, looking up at the ex-Furniture with a sly grin in place. "That's not like you."

He paused then, seeing the look on Katze's face, the silent screaming tension that was literally radiating off the man, and the smile dropped off his face. "God, Katze," he rose slowly, suddenly concerned. "What happened, man? You look like you've just seen a ghost or something."

Katze wet his lips, stepping into the room and then moving slightly to one side of the doorway. "There's someone here to see you, Riki," he said softly.

Swallowing hard, Riki felt his guts flip a lazy turn.

Had Katze sold him out? The look on the ex-Furniture face... He couldn't remember ever seeing the guy look that fucked up before. From that expression alone, Riki began to grow very nervous indeed.

"Who'd you bring, Katze?" he asked softly. "Huh? I mean, should I be breaking out more coffee, or just packing a bag?"

Katze's expression flickered briefly. "Neither, I would say," with that, he looked over his shoulder towards the door.

From the shadows in the hallway, with steps slow and measured, an Elite Blondie walked into the room, looking at Riki with an indecipherable expression on that flawless face.

A face that Riki knew.

"God..." Riki heard his own stunned whisper, felt his eyes widen, the coffee mug in his hand dropping unheeded to the floor with a dull clunk. He reeled back slightly, shaking his head, his body trembling uncontrollably.

"Oh, my God..." he whispered again, shock being far too mild a word to describe the feelings that were rocketing through him.

The Blondie standing before him took a slow step closer, his eyes fixed unblinkingly on Riki's own. The Blondie... Riki's thunderstruck mind could only take in the basic details. The fine white satin of his shirt, the deep blue of the sash affixed across his broad and powerful shoulders, the sleeveless black overcoat, the rich fabric draping almost to the floor. His hair, long and thick and pale and beautiful.

And his eyes...

"Iason?" Riki blinked, shaking his head once more, not quite able to believe what he was seeing.

"Yes," Iason took another step towards him. "Yes, Riki."

Riki's felt his breath leave him in a shattered rush, the mere sound of that velvet voice touching him like a blow to the stomach. He gasped shallowly, trying to comprehend. "But... But you're dead."

"No," The tiniest smile began to curve Iason's rich mouth. "I survived. Just as you did."

For an endless moment, Riki stood there silently, his eyes flicking back and forth between Iason and Katze, and behind them, standing unobtrusively just beyond the doorway, Raoul Am. He felt the rage rising in him, faster than a flash of lightening. His lips pulled back from his teeth in a soundless snarl, his eyes narrowing murderously.

"You son of a BITCH!!" He launched himself at Katze, his fists swinging towards the ex-Furniture's horrified face. Even as Iason caught him bodily, pulling him back before he could make contact and pinning his arms to his sides, Riki continued to scream his fury.

"You lying asshole!" Riki fought wildly against Iason's immovable hold, pushing with all his might to close the distance between himself and Katze. "You fucking, backstabbing, two-faced traitor, you told me he was DEAD!" A harsh sob tore from his throat, forcing its way past his gritted teeth, "You knew! You knew he was alive this whole fucking time and you NEVER TOLD ME! I'm gonna KILL you Katze, I swear to God, I will kill you!"

"Riki," Iason's voice murmured directly into his ear. "Riki... please."

That single plea, that soft entreaty, halted Riki's struggles immediately. A strangled sound escaped from his aching throat as he turned in Iason's arms, looking up with agonized eyes into his perfect face. He swallowed hard, his eyes closing painfully, as his legs failed him and he sank to the floor, Iason smoothly going with him, still holding him closely.

"You're here," Riki whispered, one hand lifting to Iason's upper arm, closing over the rich fabric.

"I am."

Riki blinked again, slowly, mindless of the wet warmth that trickled unnoticed down his cheeks. "You're really here."

"Yes."

Slowly, Riki's hand closed, bunching the fine satin of Iason's shirt up in a white knuckled and shaking grip. "Don't leave again."

"I won't."

"Okay," Resting his hot forehead against Iason's warm and solid chest, Riki allowed himself to relax at last. He felt Iason's arms shifting around him, moving to cradle him rather than imprison, and he sighed and nodded. "Okay then."

Behind them, quite unheeded, Raoul Am and Katze quietly withdrew and closed the door behind them.



8

Travelling back through the streets of Midas towards Eos, Katze found that he was navigating his way almost automatically, directing only minimal attention to his chauffeuring. He kept glancing in the rear-view mirror at the silent and contemplative form of Raoul Am, sitting in the rear seat, one arm propped against the sill of the car window, his chin cupped in his elegant hand. The Elite was looking unblinkingly out into the night, but Katze doubted that he was even registering the brightly lit and crowd-filled streets. His expression was almost vacant, his green eyes inwardly gazing as he very obviously meditated on all that had passed this evening.

And there was a hell of a lot to meditate on, Katze had to admit that. He drew his thoughts back to his driving for a moment as he reached the intersection that would lead towards Eos. Checking the crossways, he signaled and turned, merging smoothly into the flowing traffic before once more glancing back at the Blondie.

Although he almost desperately wished to voice his questions, Katze wisely kept his silence. At least for now. With Iason, he had always known just how far he could push his limits, how much his former master would accept, how many questions he would answer, and exactly what warning signs Katze would need to take note of to ensure he didn't cross the line.

But Raoul Am was a different animal altogether. He might be Iason's closest Elite friend, but he was not Iason. Katze had seen enough flashes of the Blondie's awful and glacial temper to know that.

Instead, as the crystalline lights of Eos grew closer in the distance, Katze contented himself with replaying the conversation he had witnessed earlier in the night when he had taken Iason and Raoul to his safe-house, trying to reconcile what he felt about the whole damned thing...

"There was one other detail you failed to mention to me about the events following Dana Bahn, Raoul," Iason had told his friend softly as the lights beyond the car window alternately washed his flawless face with flashes of illumination and shadow.

Seated beside him in the spacious rear of the vehicle, Raoul had tilted his head. "Oh?"

"My death," Iason had clarified. "You failed to mention to me that I had, in fact, died that day."

Outwardly composed, but with a wealth of pain in his eyes, visible even to Katze's fleeting glances in the rear-view mirror, Raoul had nodded slowly. "Yes, it happened. But it was only for a few moments, Iason. We saved you."

Iason had sighed wearily. "But she felt it, Raoul."

Raoul had frowned. "She?"

"Jupiter," Iason had clarified, his voice soft with remembered anguish. "She felt it... and it hurt her."

Even in the front seat, even over the purr of the engine, Raoul's gasp of shock had been clearly audible to Katze's ears.

"It was her... emotional response to my death, to the pain that she felt, that made her call me to her all those times. She had never experienced anything like it before and she was trying to comprehend her own reactions, by investigating mine," Iason had smiled slightly, almost ruefully. "In essence, my friend, I was her 'research' into the unknown."

"So," Raoul had faltered a moment, struggling with it, "she has decided to rethink her entire dictate on Elite behavior because of you?"

Iason had shaken his head slightly. "Because of all of us, Raoul." He had huffed a soft chuckle at Raoul's perplexed expression. "To a certain extent she can sense the innermost feelings of all of her Elite children." He had shifted slightly, looking intently into Raoul's eyes, "You lied for me, Raoul. Many times. You protected me, even though you disagreed with what I was doing. Even though you knew it was wrong. Jupiter knows all of this."

"Iason..."

"You did this, out of friendship," Iason had continued implacably, "and friendship is a form of love."

Raoul had looked away for a moment, his shoulders rigid with discomfort.

"Are you going to deny that?" Iason had asked softly.

Flushing, ever so slightly across his pale cheeks, Raoul looked back at him and shook his head in silence.

"So," Iason had leant back, settling himself more comfortably. "She believes that she understands now. We are evolving. Even though the Elite have been genetically enhanced, we are still – at our core – descended from human stock. We are still capable of emotion. This cannot be denied any longer."

"What will this mean for us, Iason?" Raoul had asked him, his voice shaking slightly. "What, in the end, will it mean for all of us?"

"It will mean that we will finally be allowed to fulfill our full potential, Raoul," Iason had replied.

"I don't understand."

"She believes that if her Elite are allowed to have something worth loving to achieve great things for," Iason's answer had been sure and certain, "then they will only become more passionate, more powerful, in the service of Amoi."

Raoul had stared at him for a long moment. "And what do you believe, Iason?" he had asked eventually.

Iason's expression had been almost beatific. "I believe she is right."

Shaking himself slightly, Katze pulled his attention fully back to the present and glanced once more into the rear-view mirror.

"We are entering Eos, Master Am," he advised quietly, almost hesitant to break the silence. "Do you wish me to take you into the central district for a while?"

Slowly, Raoul blinked and lifted his green eyes to meet Katze's in the reflection of the mirror. "As a matter of fact, I don't," he murmured his reply in a profoundly thoughtful tone. "Take me to Eos Tower."

"Of course, Sir," Katze replied, adjusting their direction once more.

"You will escort me to Iason's penthouse once we arrive."

Startled, Katze blinked and looked back at Raoul once more, seeing the slightly cool smile appearing on the Elite's face.

"I happen to know for a fact that you have Iason's security codes, Katze," Raoul told him.

Katze grimaced slightly as he drove his car into the protected parking bay at the foot of Eos Tower. "Iason told you that, did he?"

"Hmm." Raoul waited while Katze parked and cut the engine. Then he sighed. "I feel the need for silence... and Iason's penthouse is the quietest place I can think of right now."

"I see, Master Am." Shaking his head at the oddness of the Elite, Katze quickly exited the driver's seat, moving to the rear of the car and opening the door for the Blondie.

As Raoul gracefully alighted and fell into step with the ex-Furniture, heading towards the penthouse lift, he sighed once more. "So much changed in so short a time," he murmured, almost to himself.

As Katze summoned the lift, he kept his face averted slightly in a properly respectful pose. "Will you require me to stay once we have reached the penthouse, Master Am?" he asked quietly.

Raoul glanced down at him, the expression on his patrician face indecipherable. "Only if you want to, Katze."

Katze felt his eyes widen slightly.

"Oh... and Katze?" Raoul added as they stepped into the lift together.

"Yes, Master Am?"

"You may call me Raoul, if you wish."




Standing in the cool night air on Iason's penthouse balcony, glass of fine wine in hand, which Dane had silently retrieved without question at Raoul's request before quickly disappearing into his own private room, Katze gazed out across the bright lights of Midas. He lifted his eyes to the twin moons of Amoi for a moment, nodding at them almost as if they were old friends, before dropping his gaze again.

Even though it was much too distant from his current position to even consider trying to see it, Katze's gaze strayed almost automatically in the direction of his safe-house in Ceres where no doubt two men – one Elite and one a mere mongrel – were reacquainting themselves with the most impossible love story this world would ever see.

For what it was worth, he really did wish them well.

"So," Raoul joined him at the edge of the balcony, his own glass of wine cradled in a long-fingered and elegant hand. "Are you going to share your views on your former master's pronouncements earlier this evening?"

"Well, I don't know, Raoul." Katze made a sardonic little face and cast a sideways glance at the Blondie's face, "I guess it all depends on how you'll react. I mean, I don't really want to have another set of holes punched through my shoulder if I can avoid it."

To his surprise, Raoul actually winced slightly. "Yes. Well." He pulled in a deep breath. "Perhaps I was somewhat over-zealous that night."

"Oh yeah." Katze looked down at his glass once more.

"Besides, if it serves to ease your concerns," Raoul huffed a short chuckle, "I believe it is entirely appropriate to say that 'all bets are off'..? At least for tonight?"

"All right," Shooting him a narrowed sidelong glance, Katze nodded, "All right... you want my spin on this? I'll give it to you." Katze turned to fully face the Elite and lifted his chin, flicking his hair back from his scarred face for a moment with a short upward jerk of his head. "I think it's probably the best fuckin' thing that will ever happen to you stuck-up, anal retentive bunch of pure assholes. And, in all honestly, with the possible exception of Iason – who has, let's face it, had a bit of practice in the field – I don't think you guys have a God damned clue just how complicated your lives are about to get." He grinned viciously up at Raoul's stunned expression. "And you know what else..? I think you deserve it."

It hung there between them in the cold night air for an endless moment before, in a move that shocked Katze right down to his feet, Raoul suddenly threw back his head and laughed. For a second Katze simply gaped at him, almost offended. Then, unable to help himself, he began to chuckle along, his own amusement at the incongruity of the situation rising until he, too, was laughing as long and as loudly as the Blondie Elite now leaning helplessly against the balcony wall.

As the echoes of their laughter faded slowly away, Raoul wiped his eyes with one hand, composing himself, even though his lips still twitched a little with mirth. "Ah, Katze," he shook his head ruefully. "How long have you been waiting to say that to one of us?"

Katze snorted gracelessly. "About as long as I can remember, Raoul."

"Well, I'll offer you this compliment, at least. You were most eloquent."

"Thanks." Katze sipped his wine once more, turning around and resting his rump against the edge of the wall. "Raoul?"

"Hmm?"

"You ever been drunk?"

Raoul smiled tolerantly at him. "No. Elite don't get drunk, Katze."

"You wanna try?"

Arching an elegant brow at him, Raoul crossed his arms over his broad chest as he considered it. "Why not?" he replied at length. "It's a night for firsts, after all."

"I'll drink to that." Katze turned and headed back into the penthouse, intending to raid Iason's liquor cabinet with complete immunity for the first time.

Besides, he thought with wicked delight, he might just let Raoul explain it to Iason in the morning...



Walk forward... – chapters 4-6 << >> Walk forward... – chapters 9-10

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start