To thine own self

by Ainzfern

10

Nestled quite comfortably in the middle of the vast bed in the master bedroom of Iason Mink's Eos Tower penthouse, Riki slowly opened his eyes and stretched hugely under the warm covers. Almost immediately he winced, cursing softly as the undeniable stiffness from sore muscles and the occasional bruise here and there on his body made their presence known.

He lay still for a while, his brain slowly coming back on line. Obviously, he figured, he would almost have to have sustained some of the muscle strains during his short but savage struggle with last night's assailants. But, thinking back on Iason's almost over-zealous passion following their return home last night from the hospice, Riki also had to admit that more than a few of the aches were his Blondie's doing.

Certainly the pulled muscle on the inside of his right thigh was one of Iason's; that was for sure. He smirked slightly, scooting over to the edge of the bed and sitting slowly. Pulling on his robe he vented a soft, albeit slightly pained, chuckle and shook his head.

They'd made love almost frantically last night, relief coupled with the undeniable ardor of their recent schedule-enforced abstinence combining to bring them together with a physical intensity that almost bordered on violent. Admittedly, Riki had absolutely loved it at the time, meeting Iason with as much strength of passion as his less resilient mongrel body could provide. And he'd also understood it, even in the middle of all the heat and sweat and effort, even though he'd known that he was going to be one hurting unit the next morning, not once did it occur to him to tell Iason to pull it back a little bit.

His Blondie had needed it.

Stretching again, a little more carefully this time, Riki got to his feet and padded into the bathroom to attend to his most pressing morning business. As he stood there, absently scratching himself and peeing, he considered last night's intimacy a little more seriously.

It had, quite frankly, been a bit like being hit by a blond-haired whirlwind. Iason had been all over him, almost before they'd actually made it fully into the bedroom. His kisses had been deep and demanding, his hands insistent and almost forceful, groping over Riki's body with none of his usual finesse or attention to detail; just trying to get to as much skin as he could, as quickly as he could.

Actually... Riki smiled at his own reflection in the mirror above the basin as he washed his hands, that whole groping thing had been pretty damned nice.

Iason had gotten them both naked and horizontal on the bed so fast that Riki had nearly done a double take, but then his Blondie had started working his way over Riki's body with hands and teeth and tongue, and Riki's brain had pretty much lost cognitive thought at that point. Iason had fucked him twice last night, once on his back, nailing him down into the mattress with deep unremitting strokes until they had both come stunningly hard, Iason with a strangled gasp and Riki with a howl that shook the windows. Then, before Riki had even had a chance to catch his breath, his Blondie had pulled out, flipped him over and slid back in, pulling him back so that his legs were splayed across Iason's hard thighs; thrusting up into his flesh in a hard fast rhythm, holding him tightly, his sweat slicked back pressed firmly against Iason's heaving chest.

Iason had seemed almost driven, nearly frantic to get closer, deeper, and when he had come again, the whisper of his pleasure cutting through the roaring in Riki's ears, Riki had arched his head back, twisting so that he could kiss the side of that flushed face over and over. And he'd felt the shudders running the length of Iason's body as the Blondie's arms had tightened around him desperately, shudders that Riki was almost certain had nothing to do with the echoes of orgasm that would have still been shimmering through his flesh.

Iason had been scared.

Last night, Iason had nearly been too late, had nearly witnessed Riki's murder. It had been that close.

Riki shivered involuntarily as he padded back out of the bathroom. He knew that it wasn't something that Iason would ever admit out loud or, perhaps even to himself. But Riki had seen it. In the Blondie's eyes as he had burst into the darkened apartment like the wrath of God itself, at the hospital when he and Riki had talked together after Katze and Raoul had left. And he had felt it last night, in Iason's fervent touches.

In the aftermath, Iason had held him close, touching him here and there, his pale beautiful eyes filled with deep and unspoken emotion. Riki had held his silence, understanding that what Iason needed at that moment was simply to be next to him, to be holding the living and healthy warmth of his body, skin against skin.

And, to be absolutely fair, Riki had kind of needed that too.

A soft knock at the bedroom door broke him out of his musing and he turned, smiling as Dane opened it and poked his head in. "I heard movement," he said softy, he held a steaming mug of coffee out to Riki. "I thought you might want this."

"Dane, my man, you are a life saver." Sighing with absolute pleasure, Riki accepted the proffered brew, inhaling recently, and then sipping carefully as he followed Dane out through the main area of the penthouse and into the kitchen.

Chuckling, Dane pointed to one of the stools set near the kitchen bench. "Sit," he ordered, humor in his gentle voice. "I'll get you some breakfast."

Watching as the pleasant-faced young Furniture set about slicing fruit and buttering fresh bread, Riki felt his expression softening. "Hey," he murmured after a moment.

Dane looked up at him, his eyes questioning.

"Are you okay? Really?" Riki set his half emptied mug on the bench. "I didn't exactly get a chance to ask you last night."

"Actually, I feel just fine." Dane shrugged lightly. "I mean, I was pretty frightened when it happened, of course..."

Riki pulled in a deep breath. "Yeah. Me too."

Dane nodded somberly. "But, the fact that you and Master Iason are okay is all that really matters."

Picking up his coffee once more, Riki nursed it with both hands. "Cool. Well... y'know, if you want to talk or anything..." he shrugged, leaving it hanging.

Genuine fondness filled Dane's eyes as he nodded again. "I know. Thanks."

"He'll find them, you know." Riki said softly, absolute certainty in his voice. "Whoever they are, wherever they're hiding, Iason will find them."

"I know that too."

"So," Riki gave himself a little shake, his smile returning. "I kind of vaguely heard Iason leave this morning," he winked at Dane as the Furniture set a filled plate in front of him. "Did you happen to see what time it was when he left?"

"Just after six," Dane replied, topping up Riki's coffee and pouring one for himself. "He said he'd be back early today, though."

"Good." Riki took a substantial bite of his breakfast, suddenly ravenously hungry. "I need to drop a couple of more leads out to Enif at his apartment, but then I'll head right back."

Dane's expression smoothed out in comprehension. "Ah. Some more birthdays coming up, hmm?"

"Yeah." Riki pushed his plate to one side and picked up his coffee mug again. "Iason let me know a couple of days ago. Two Pets in Blaine Dal's household and one in Tahna Lam's are nearing the age of nineteen."

Looking interestedly at him as he cleared Riki's plate away, Dane smiled slightly. "It's really quite a good idea you came up with, there."

"It's not bad, is it?" Riki pursed his full mouth thoughtfully. "All Enif has to do is forward a quick letter of offer to the Furniture in the Elite's household, presenting the relocation option to Hepstra. The Furniture passes on the information to his master and, in almost every case, they've been totally happy to let us just take their Pets right off their hands." A tiny smirk appeared on his face. "Probably because it saves them the troubles of having to bother relocating the poor unwanted bastards themselves... or God forbid, having to spend their own money supporting them with a pension."

"Well," Dane leaned against the kitchen bench, mirth in his eyes, "I hope you won't mind a bit of company when you head out to Enif's place."

"Oh?" Riki tilted his head to one side, wondering at the sudden amusement on Dane's face. "Why's that, exactly? You comin' along today?"

"No. But at least one of the four security men that Master Iason stationed outside the penthouse will probably want to."

Riki heaved a sigh. "I suppose I should have expected that." He grinned suddenly. "Ah well. I don't mind if he wants to tag along."

"No?" Dane looked honestly surprised at that.

"Nah." Riki winked at him, "As long as he can keep up with my bike, that is."




"... and you are fully clear on your instructions?" Seated behind his desk in his office in Jupiter Tower, Iason waited as his chief of security, a man known only as 'Mace', nodded his answer to Iason's question.

His head of personal security was a blocky graying man of indeterminate age, with an undoubtedly interesting collection of scars on his hard-hewn face and piercing deep green eyes. He didn't speak often, as a rule; but Iason had learned by now that, whenever he did, it was generally worth listening to. Plus, he was clever. That, in Iason's opinion, was always a useful trait in an employee.

"Yes Sir," Mace's voice was roughened by years of parade-ground bawling, "Katze's people will provide the computer trail and narrow down the possible points of origin." His mouth twitched ever so slightly into what could have been interpreted as a smile, "And then my team will track and engage targets with extreme prejudice."

Iason nodded, grim satisfaction rising in his face. "I plan to speak with Katze this afternoon. You should have the required information in your hands shortly afterwards."

Mace got to his feet, smoothly ripping off a salute sharp enough to slice steel. "Very good, Sir." He lifted one silver brow. "If I may, Sir, I would suggest that we continue to leave a small detachment of my men, as we did this morning, outside both yours and Master Am's residences at Eos Tower. Just until the threat has been fully neutralized."

"In this instance, I would have to concur," Iason sat back in his seat. "It is clearly common sense to exercise due caution."

"Common sense, Iason?" A most familiar and welcome voice suddenly interjected from the doorway of Iason's office, "Did I just hear an Elite urging actual discretion?"

Honestly startled, Iason rose to his feet. "Chey!" he exclaimed with genuine pleasure as the handsome square-jawed statesman strode across his office to meet him. "I was not expecting to see you here." He rounded his desk, his hand outstretched in welcome.

Chey Neeson smiled broadly as he approached the Elite, clasping his hand warmly. "Well, the report that General Grace's attaché initially sent through only mentioned the incident at Partia, but once I received your message, I was on a transport ship heading towards Amoi."

Iason smiled at him, sincere and abiding fondness rising in his chest. "You did not have to do that, Chey."

Chey's expression sobered a touch as he released Iason's hand and instead clasped his shoulder firmly for a moment. "Yes I did, my friend." He glanced curiously at Mace then, polite enquiry on his face.

"Ah." Iason gestured towards the rigid-shouldered uniformed man. "My chief of security."

Mace nodded shortly to Chey. "A pleasure, Sir," he said almost perfunctorily. He looked back at Iason. "If I may..?" he asked, glancing at the door, "I would like to debrief the team prior to receiving your final instructions."

Iason nodded. "By all means. I shall contact you soon."

With one final nod, Mace executed a precision turn and left the room.

"Not the most affable fellow," Chey noted as Iason gestured for him to sit down, even as he resumed his own seat.

Iason smiled coldly. "He gets the job done."

"Yes," Chey murmured dryly, "I imagine he does." He gave himself a little shake then, sitting forward and looking at Iason with deep concern radiating from him. "Tell me... how is Riki?"

Iason felt his smile warm a little. "He is as well as can be expected. No doubt the incident was distressing for him..."

"Well, nearly being murdered can do that to a person."

"Hmm." Iason sighed softly, showing to this trusted man a shade of the deep disquiet he felt. "It was a very near thing, Chey, I won't deny that. I won't be truly satisfied until all possible threat from United Industries is removed."

"Hence your rather preoccupied security chief, no doubt."

Iason lifted one elegant brow, as always, mildly impressed by how perceptive this federation government politician really was. "Talking of seeing to the heart of matters," he said then, "dare I hope that you are here to tell me your government is willing to assist?"

"Iason," Chey hesitated a moment, his expression solemn as he looked at the Elite. He pulled his face into a tiny grimace and sighed, lifting his broad shoulders briefly. "If I may be totally honest with you at this juncture..."

Iason smiled, ever so slightly. "I've never known you to be anything else, Chey."

Nodding at the compliment, Chey continued. "Although I am very aware that black market activities are conducted more or less on Amoi under your sanction, they are still – at least within federation government territories, considered highly illegal." He lifted one hand slightly as Iason's eyes narrowed a little, gesturing in a calming manner. "Of course, I understand that the control and operation of the market in Amoi territories works very well and, naturally, it is a wholly internal matter how you, as leader of the Syndicate, care to direct its influences."

Iason sat forward a little, a light frown creasing his brow. "Your point, Chey?" he asked softly.

"Don't misunderstand me, please. Personally, I rather like Katze. Or at least, I like what I know of him. However, all of that aside, if this were simply a matter of a black market boss being killed in some manner of take-over bid, my government would not be inclined to aid you in any way."

"I see." Iason felt his expression hardening.

"Fortunately," Chey's mouth turned up wryly at one side, "and of course, I am using the word rather paradoxically in this case – the assailants have made a significant tactical error. They broke into the home of the leader of the Tanagura Syndicate. That they were after young Riki," Chey's expression darkened, "is almost immaterial when held against that single fact."

"Not to me it isn't, Chey," Iason said flatly.

Chey's expression softened somewhat. "Of course not," he murmured. He drew in another deep breath and set his shoulders once more. "And then, even more damning, we have the incident at Partia. Once again, as you and I know, the assailants were after Katze... but the man they gunned down was your second in command, the respected Chief Biologist of Amoi, Raoul Am." Chey's eyes grew sly. "That, quite reasonably, puts this attack firmly into the camp of political motivation. It has given me the leverage I needed to compel an investigation by General Grace's domestic security forces into the possibility that these killers were sent by persons who intended to assassinate a known political figure and conspired to cause an inter-stellar incident."

Iason's sly smile matched Chey's. "So am I to understand you have not actually mentioned the possible black market motivation to General Grace's people?"

"I have not."

Iason tiled his head, an almost whimsical look crossing his flawless face. "Have I just heard correctly? Did Chey Neeson actually just admit to perpetrating a falsehood?"

Chey chuckled softly, his shrewd eyes twinkling. "Well, I wouldn't call it a falsehood, as such, Iason. More a case of... selective recall."

"Ah."

"General Grace's people have already begun to investigate certain known associates of United Industries," Chey grew serious once more. "And, believe me; the federation government's department of revenue has more than just a few open files on some of United's past endeavors. They've been waiting for a legitimate chance to audit the company's operations. I seriously doubt that Grace's people will find any substantiation of a political plot. But what I do think they'll find is clear evidence that Untied Industries was attempting to gain access to, and trade within, an illegal and unregulated market." His smile grew positively vicious, "And that, my friend, is where we will bring them crumbling down."

"And if they find any connection to Katze and Riki?" Iason asked him.

Chey shrugged almost dismissively. "It will be practically immaterial. Proven intent on behalf of United Industries will be sufficient to seize the company under a legal injunction." He smiled blandly. "Of course, any potentially illegal activity conducted by citizens of Amoi would, naturally, have to be reported to the appropriate Amoian authority..."

Iason sat back, one elegant brow arching wryly. "Which I believe, in this case, would be me."

Chey's grin was positively beatific. "Well, how about that? I believe you're right."

"Thank you, Chey," Iason said simply, all humor fading from his face. "Although I am confident that my own security forces would be more than capable of locating the individuals behind the attacks, I am grateful for the additional assistance; if for no other reason than it will help to bring about an end to this matter, and to any further potential danger to Riki, much sooner."

"You are very welcome indeed, Iason." Chey's expression hardened somewhat. "In all honesty I have to confess, there is something deeply and profoundly offensive to me in idea that these... these hired thugs, broke into your home and nearly murdered a young man for whom I have a great deal of affection. And that it was done for no other reason than Riki was simply part of a succeeding plan to keep United Industries the hell out of a commerce that they had no business trying to get into in the first place."

"Then we are certainly of the same opinion."

Chey grinned at him. "It's quite surprising how often that happens, isn't it?"

Iason chuckled softly. "How long are you staying?"

"Only the night, I'm afraid." Chey rubbed one hand over his eyes, suddenly appearing weary. "I have to be on the first transport out tomorrow morning." He shrugged, almost bashfully. "But, I wanted to come and see you both personally. Just to assure myself that you were well."

"I appreciate that." Iason rose to his feet once more. "And I must insist that you spend your evening with us."

Also rising, Chey nodded at him. "I would be delighted."

With an urbane gesture towards the door, Iason led his friend out of the office.



To thine own self – chapter 9 << >> To thine own self – chapter 11

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start