The journey itself, is freedom

by Ainzfern

25

Walking across the polished marble floor of the Midas Museum's grand lobby, Chey smiled gently as he approached his beautifully attired Blondie. Tahna was resplendent in cream satins and deep royal blue brocade this evening for this most special of events. He stood close to Laron Tak and his curator, Quinn, his perfect face serious and his voice low while he covered off in detail yet again on the list of tasks to be completed for the evening. Observing the two Elites, Chey had to admit they were an impressive sight. Laron had chosen midnight black and deep ruby red for his formal attire tonight and the combination with his coloring was quite stunning.

Chey stifled a rueful laugh. Seriously... whenever he mixed with Elites in full regalia he always felt that he looked a lot like a dull black mallard sitting next to a flock of displaying peacocks.

Pausing in his approach Chey glanced at young Esra standing, as always he had quickly noticed, within the secure circle of Laron's arm. His large dark eyes were also intent on Tahna's face as the Elite went through the night's plans, evidently keen to play his part to the best of his ability as well.

Chey liked them both and found that he could relate very well to Laron Tak, in whom he saw a very like-minded individual to himself. Upon introduction, literally the first thing he had noticed was that Laron was a genuinely warm character despite his somewhat aloof demeanor, and that he was absolutely besotted and almost instinctively solicitous of his rather lovely young mate. He treated Esra an equal, as a friend and a lover... and in Chey's books that put Laron firmly into the 'good guy' camp.

Quinn, of course, looked as he always did. Neat, pinched and terribly nervous.

Carefully smothering a smile Chey stepped up to Tahna's side, his expression warming as Tahna looked into his eyes.

"Your calls are all completed?" the Blondie asked without preamble.

"Yes," Chey nodded, not at all fazed by Tahna's preoccupied tone. "I'm sorry, it took longer than I expected. I had to sanction a couple of new submissions for the next senate session."

"Its fine. Iason and Raoul have yet to arrive so we've still got some moments, anyway." Tahna pushed his hair back over one shoulder with a sweep of one elegant hand. "The connection in my office was clear enough for your needs?"

"No problem," Chey winked at him, lifting one hand to rub discreetly at the small of Tahna's back, feeling the tension there, hearing the Elite's soft sigh at the soothing touch. Noting that Laron and Esra had made their way over to the museum entrance in preparation for the Syndicate leader's arrival, Chey took the opportunity to lean closer to his lover, lowering his voice. "You've done everything, Tahna," he said gently.

Tahna looked askance at him.

Smiling, Chey shrugged. "The catering and waiting staff is standing by. The food is excellent and the wet bar is overflowing. The decorations in the function hall are elegantly tasteful, and so is the music. You know your numbers, all the guests have RSVP'd and, knowing you, you've even made arrangements for late-comer's and ring-in's..?" he arched an enquiring brow.

Tahna huffed an exasperated sigh at him. "Of course I have," he said waspishly.

Ignoring the snippy tone Chey went on. "So... relax for goodness' sake, love. Iason knows what to do at the appropriate time. Then you say your piece, Laron says his, and it's done."

Tahna heaved a great sigh. "It is a little more complex than that, I feel obliged to point out."

"Tahna, you can handle complex in your sleep."

Tahna smiled, his full lips curving almost reluctantly. "We-eell," he admitted grudgingly. "That is true."

Chuckling, Chey eased his arm all the way around Tahna's lean waist, pulling him into an embrace for a moment. "I know it's been very stressful for you."

"Yes it has," Tahna admitted softly. "I mean, I am committed to this course of action, Chey, that's not in doubt. It's just that..." he trailed off shaking his head.

"Part of you really doesn't want to say goodbye to all of this?" Chey completed the sentence gently.

Tahna nodded, his violet eyes somber.

"That's also very normal, Blondie," Chey assured him warmly. "You made this department what it is and, well, let's be honest... no disrespect to Laron at all, but you're essentially leaving it now to an uncertain future. A few pangs of doubt are very appropriate in my opinion."

Huffing a soft laugh, Tahna pulled in a deep breath. "Oh. Well, as your opinion is so highly respected on Amoi, how can I not be comforted?"

Grinning now, Chey squeezed Tahna's midriff snugly, before releasing the Elite once more. "Facetious creature, aren't you?"

"But of course," Tahna replied smugly, looking much improved for Chey's intervention.

"Uh... Sir Tahna, Sir?" Quinn's diffident voice came from close behind Chey.

"Yes, Quinn?" Tahna adjusted his sash coat and cuffs neatly.

"His Excellency and Sir Am have just arrived, Sir."

"Very good," Tahna fell into step with Chey as they crossed the floor towards the entrance, the Elite smiling briefly when Chey took his elbow in his usual courtesy. Beautiful eyes flicked up to Chey's face, holding his gaze with just the slightest tightening visible in his perfect face. "Well," he murmured as they neared the entrance in time to hear Laron and Esra formally greeting the Syndicate leader and his mate, "here we go."

Nodding, Chey squeezed Tahna's arm gently in silent support. Although the Blondie was holding it together, the canny federation statesman made a quick promise to himself to keep a close watch on his lover this evening. Chey knew Tahna very well by now, and he could recognize the little signs of building stress, the telltale indication that a towering hissy fit was only one wrong comment or one minor logistical issue away.

And, he knew why. His lover would be leaving his entire life behind to venture into federation territory. Everything that was familiar to him, his job, his apartment, his Pets, his colleagues, even his Furniture. They would be left behind when Tahna travelled out in just a few more days. Tahna's time was now taken up with a series of finalizations and farewells, and tonight was just the start. Tomorrow, they would be going to Apathia to make arrangements for Tei and Elle, and Chey knew very well that Tahna was not looking forward to that task at all.

Even for a haughty Elite, these were difficult and draining days.

However, Chey had a sharp eye for detail and he knew what to look for. As soon as he saw the slightest warning signal of an impending explosion, he would have Tahna out of here and into a private space in very short order. His Blondie would be able vent to his heart's content without the risk of public humiliation, surely the one thing that any Elite worth his Syndicate crest could never tolerate.

Feeling a wide and genuine grin forming on his face Chey stepped forward to warmly greet his, by now, quite old friends Iason and Riki, closely followed by Raoul and his strikingly attractive mate, Katze. He had a feeling, especially with the Syndicate leader's sanction, tonight was going to go very well indeed.

But he'd have an escape route to Tahna's office all picked out anyway, just in case.




The night wore on. The handover had gone smoothly and the ripple of stunned amazement that had flashed through the crowd when Iason had announced the new department head had been everything that the Blondie and the Sapphire behind the event could have dreamed of. What had been more encouraging, however, was the genuine warmth of the applause that followed the Syndicate leader's ratification speech. Now, the lights had been softened, the champagne brought out, and it was really just a matter of social networking; of the gathered Elites and upper class citizens debriefing the event in order to formulate it into their perception of the world.

There was one thoroughly and quite evidently displeased individual amongst the glittering, brightly chattering crowd. Moving from group to group, stalking the length of the grand function hall, Kyle Li trailed a visible haze of disgust and dismay after him.

Laron Tak, a Sapphire, to take over Tahna Lam's department...

Was no-one else seeing the impending disasters associated with such a thing? Had the world gone mad when he hadn't been looking?

As he crossed the floor, Kyle's sharp eyes picked out various details, the familiar faces. Laron, talking soberly with Raoul Am about some grave matter from the looks of things, was pointedly avoided. So was Iason, his little mongrel mate the ever-present shadow beside him, who was holding court to a mix of richly dressed Elites. Although he was not evidently visible Chey Neeson, he had no doubt, would be around somewhere practicing his elegant and amusing charm upon unsuspecting Amoians.

The one person he couldn't see was the one person he was looking for. Tahna Lam was quite conspicuous by his absence and Kyle certainly had more than just a few words to say to the Blondie about his choice of secondee to his department... and perhaps even about the lack of wisdom in abandoning his Syndicate duties to accept some token position in a federation backwater.

Casting another look around, Kyle spotted Quinn, Tahna's ridiculous little P.A, over by the far corner, talking quite animatedly to what appeared to be a young civilian. He strode over, intending to question the fidgety curator about Tahna's whereabouts, deeming that he would probably be the most likely to know.

As he closed the distance, Kyle felt a somewhat perplexed frown crease his brow. Now that he was closer he could see that the young man talking to Quinn was clearly a Pet, yet he was unlike any Kyle had ever seen before. Certainly he had the perfect balance of facial features, the elegant long-limbed and slender body. His skin was flawless and pale and his every gesture, his every movement, was filled with latent sensuality and instinctive grace.

But his huge eyes were bright with intelligence and enjoyment as he talked with Quinn. His face was prettily flushed with high color, his manner animated and congenial. Not at all like the pale and sullen little examples that he had currently in his own apartment... Pets that were pretty, yes, but all so very alike to each other.

No, this one was quite, quite lovely. Even Kyle had to admit that.

Just as that observation crossed his mind, the young man happened to look in his direction. His dark eyes widened and his slender shoulders grew rigid and tense, clearly bracing for some manner of confrontation. But instead of bowing his head obsequiously or stepping back to allow Kyle to speak with Quinn as would be appropriate behavior in the presence of his betters, the little creature actually held his ground, looking at Kyle with a questioning, even slightly challenging air. That single show of defiance gave it all away, the pieces falling into place. With a sudden shock, Kyle realized that this Pet was actually an ex-Pet and that he was also Laron's mate, Esra.

From the corner of his eye, just as he closed the distance between himself now silent pair Kyle saw a flash of rich blood-red velvet, the graceful billowing sweep of a heavy sash-coat, as Laron Tak smoothly appeared and almost casually stepped between Kyle and his little mate. Lifting his chin, Kyle appraised the Sapphire coldly, feeling a tiny smirk curve his lips.

Truly, the pathetically protective excuse for an Elite must have been watching Kyle like a hawk as he'd drifted nearer to that precious little Pet/mate of his, stepping up to defend his territory as soon as the Blondie got too close. Shaking his head dismissively, he moved to step around Laron.

...And stopped, the smirk fading from his face as he read the subtle change in the Sapphire's expression.

Anyone watching from more than a few feet away probably wouldn't even notice it but from this close distance, it was very obvious to Kyle Li that he would need to tread carefully. Any shade of civility, however frosty, had left Laron's face. His stance was visibly tensing up tightly as he also shifted to match Kyle's movement, ready to block him... ready to fight. Even though his perfect face bore a faint smile, a look of something that seemed suspiciously like amusement, Laron's deep blue eyes were absolutely flat with genuine dislike, burning with a silent but incredibly apparent warning, the promise of death if Kyle pushed a mere fraction of an inch too far. He had a look about him unlike any that Kyle had ever seen in an Elite before and it was this, more than anything else, that sparked a sudden surge of caution through Kyle's manner.

It was very obvious that in this matter at least there were no caste considerations, no levels of propriety to observe. Not anymore, certainly not from Laron Tak's perspective in any case. Secretive smile notwithstanding, Kyle had a clear and sudden realization that if he were to overstep the mark with Laron's Companion in any way, the Sapphire would do his best to kill him. It was that simple.

The message was delivered in an entirely silent manner of communication but it was nevertheless, Kyle had to admit, very effective. And although the Blondie would certainly be more than a match for him, he could admit that Laron would have the extra unpredictable edge of emotional motivation.

Besides, Kyle was an Elite... and true Elites did not lower themselves to baseless physical displays.

Taking a deep breath, Kyle drew himself up to his full height, affecting a distant and magnificently controlled bearing. Laron's little impassioned staring contest only served to reassure Kyle Li that he was correct. Tahna Lam was being ludicrously foolish with this latest grand gesture, this conceited slap to his Blondie brethren's faces obviously orchestrated for his own perverse amusement – the fact that it also played into Iason Mink's political agenda notwithstanding. Whatever ridiculous notion or point that the objectionable head of the Department of Arts and Antiquities had in mind, Kyle felt more compelled than ever to urge the return of what little common sense Tahna actually had.

The very idea that a... a mere Sapphire could run an entire department. Well, it was laughable. And it was made even more unlikely by the fact that Laron Tak had quite clearly lost all sense of proper perspective. How could an Elite be effective in the discharge of his duties if he could no longer see anything beyond his 'mate'?

Admittedly, as Kyle had noticed, Laron's little ex-Pet did seem to be a rather engaging creature, which he supposed could account for such a formerly cerebral man as Laron Tak being so taken with him. The Sapphire was obviously fortunate to have purchased an individual with a reasonable level of intelligence and a measure of actual character. But it didn't excuse the situation, and it didn't mean that Kyle was going to alter his own admirably strict views on what was right... and what was not.

Bowing his head to Laron in the standard Elite display of both exquisite courtesy and magnificent haughtiness, Kyle held the Sapphire's cold eyes steadily. If the man wanted good manners, Kyle could give him a superb example. "Laron," he murmured. His rich mouth twitched slightly. "Actually, I believe I should correct myself there, should I not? Do we now not share an equal honorific as department heads in our own rights? ...Sir Laron?"

As Kyle almost expected Laron was having none of it, quite pointedly refusing to engage in any rejoinder of Kyle's words. While his stance did relax the tiniest fraction, his eyes still remained hard and watchful. "Did you wish to discuss any particular matter, Sir Kyle?" he asked in a quiet and controlled tone for all that the question was blunt enough.

"Yes," Kyle replied just as coolly. "However, alas, not with you in this instance." He nodded towards the little museum curator who was standing still and tense, his eyes quite wide as he clearly sensed the deadly tension thrumming between the two formidable Elite males. "I would merely like a brief word with Mr. Quinn if I may."

"By all means," Laron glanced down at the little man beside him. "Quinn?" he waved an elegant white-gloved hand in Kyle's direction.

Pinning the little man with a hard gaze, Kyle took a deliberate step closer to Quinn and crossed his arms over his broad chest. "Your Master, Mr. Quinn – where might I find him?" he asked the question flatly, his tone not unlike the one he would use in his own household. The unmistakable voice of absolute authority.

It did not, however, appear to have the same effect here. Quinn simply blinked and looked utterly perplexed, "My Master? Uh – I don't actually have one of those," he shrugged helplessly for a second before his face smoothed in sudden clarity. "Oh! Ah... erm, you mean Sir Tahna? Uhm... Sir Kyle? Sir?"

Kyle gritted his teeth. Really, he did not know how Tahna tolerated this irritating little squab of a man. "Yes," he ground out softly and deliberately, his pale eyes narrowing dangerously. "That is who I mean."

Almost unconsciously it seemed Quinn shifted his feet, moving the tiniest bit away from Kyle and closer to Laron. The Blondie noted the telling little movement, noted how Laron widened his stance to include Quinn into his personal space, his deep blue eyes still steadily watching Kyle's face, tracking his every movement.

Ignoring the silent by-play, Kyle continued to look at Quinn as if nothing untoward had occurred. He had other matters to attend to. If Laron Tak wanted to come over all paternal that was his ridiculous prerogative and not Kyle's concern. "Mr. Quinn?" he prompted pointedly, "if you would be so good?"

"Ah. Yes, of course." Quinn ran one finger around the inside of his collar. "He is, uhm... in his office, I believe." The neat little man glanced up at Laron, who nodded almost imperceptibly. "Yes," Quinn turned back to the Blondie, sounding much more confident as he nodded. "He's is his office. Shall I show you the way? Uhm... Sir Kyle?"

"Not necessary," Kyle bit out brusquely. With a cold nod and a sweep of his heavy sash-coat he strode away, heading out of the function hall and towards the stairs that would lead down to the museum's lobby and beyond that, Tahna's private office space. As he swiftly walked along, he found that he was filled with a building resolve. Everything seemed to be moving in the wrong direction of late. The world that he knew was losing its prudence, the cool and calculating reserve that had made Amoi the powerful territory that it was, and it was happening far faster than Kyle was prepared to accept.

But... here at least he could act. Here he could at least do something to stay the wholesale dissolution of propriety that seemed to be occurring all around him.

He would make Tahna Lam see sense if it was the last thing he did.




Standing in silence, watching Kyle's graceful back and broad shoulders disappear through the crowded function hall, Laron sensed rather than saw the tension leaving both Esra and Quinn as the Blondie went on his way. He smiled wryly at Quinn, even as he slipped one hand to rest, warm and gentle over the nape of Esra's neck. "Well," he noted amiably enough, "our Sir Kyle seems a little uptight, yes?"

Quinn huffed a nervous little titter of laughter, nodding fervently. "Oh my, yes, Sir Laron, Sir..." he frowned a little in thought. "Actually he's always been a bit like that, I must confess. Not a congenial character by any stretch of the imagination."

"Hmm," Laron turned his blue-eyed gaze and perfect face in the direction that Kyle had stalked off in, his expression smoothing out with satisfaction. "One must wonder, then, if he is out of sorts now... just how chagrinned will he be once he bursts unannounced into Sir Tahna's office?"

The Sapphire winked slyly at Esra's questioning little glance.

"Oh!" Esra's sweet and open face showed that clarity had arrived. "Minister Neeson is with him?" he guessed, a slight flush coloring his smooth cheeks.

"He is," Laron chuckled. "Sir Tahna was having one of his more, shall we say 'highly strung' episodes?" His smile widened when he noticed Quinn's almost unconscious little wince. "Thus Minister Neeson advised me that he and Sir Tahna would be... 'taking a moment' for themselves."

Quinn wet his lips anxiously. "Erm... Sir Laron, Sir?" he asked hesitantly as a certain dreadful suspicion began to dawn in his eyes. "Uh... what manner of 'moment' might we be talking about here?"

Laron chuckled and drew Esra a little closer into his side. "I would suggest that it would be exactly the kind of 'moment' you are imagining, Quinn," he replied.

For a second Quinn just stared at him, then his face blanched and he gasped, looking utterly horrified, "Oh... Oh my... my – my goodness! But, Sir Kyle is... I've – I've got to stop him!"

The diminutive curator's sudden move to follow in Kyle's wake was halted by a gentle but immovable white-gloved hand, the long fingers splayed, pressing against the middle of his chest. Still smiling slightly, Laron looked down at his new P.A. and shook his head. "Actually, Quinn," he said mildly, his eyes twinkling, "why don't we just let Sir Tahna handle it, hmm?"

"Uh..." Quinn stared at him, his eyes big as saucers, his ability to speak without tripping over his own tongue almost gone under the weight of his anxiety, "But... But... if Sir Tahna and the, uhm... the Minister... are uh, well... erm..."

"...Engaged in a 'somewhat less than professional' interaction?" Laron suggested lightly as, tucked in the circle of his arm, Esra began to silently chuckle.

"Well, yes," Quinn winced again. "Oh, I just don't even want to imagine what Sir Tahna might say to Sir Kyle. I mean – Oh... Oh my – he'll be furious enough at the uninvited invasion of his office to start with..."

Laron felt an almost beatific expression cross his face. "Oh dear," he purred. "What a shame."

"Ah..." Quinn blinked, and then his pinched little face slowly smoothed out again. "Oh, I see."

"Yes," Laron nodded regally.

Quinn pondered it for a moment, before a tiny smile quirked his mouth. "Oooo, that's nasty, Sir Laron," he said with clear admiration in his voice.

"Why thank you."

"Sir Tahna will be most impressed." Quinn paused and then grimaced. "Once the apoplexy has passed, of course."

"I take that as very high praise indeed, Quinn," Laron stroked one hand down Esra's back, gesturing with the other at a passing waiter who immediately cut a sharp left-hand turn and approached the trio, tray at the ready.

Selecting two glasses and handing one to Esra and Quinn respectively, before snagging his own, Laron turned and faced his mate and his new employee. "To the next twelve months, gentlemen," he said in his deep velvet voice, lifting his glass with a graceful flourish while all around them the sparkling chatter and silky laughter of Amoian high-society continued unabated. "And to success."

Esra's smile was luminous, his dark eyes filled with love and pride as he touched his glass first to Laron's then to Quinn's. "To success," he murmured, his beautiful smile soft.

"To success," Quinn echoed, just as quietly, yet with nearly as much sentiment.

Nodding, feeling profound contentment flowing over him, Laron once more slipped a powerful arm over his mate's slender shoulders, pulling him in close; enjoying the rightness, the deep sense of comfort and emotional sustenance that he got just from having Esra near. "So," he said almost brightly, "shall we circulate and sparkle for a while?"

Esra snorted softly. "The way you say it, Laron, it actually sounds like it might be fun."

"Mmm," Quinn vented a doubtful little sound as he followed the Sapphire and his young companion out onto the main floor. "Well, I'm sure it will be, Mr. Esra, Sir... erm... until the screams of rage from Sir Tahna's office completely interrupt the proceedings."

For some reason, Laron noted, his mate seemed to find that remark exceedingly amusing.



The journey itself... – chapter 24 << >> The journey itself... – chapter 26

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start