The journey itself, is freedom

by Ainzfern

20

"Good morning, Sir Iason," Tahna's familiar voice rang out as he entered the top level office of the Syndicate Leader.

"You're here. Good," Iason greeted Tahna Lam without preamble as the exquisitely dressed Blondie entered his office at the appointed time. "I appreciate your punctuality." He waved a hand towards the nest of seats to one side of his office where Raoul Am was already seated and waiting, falling into step with Tahna as they crossed the carpeted floor.

Tahna flashed a dazzling smile at the Syndicate's bleak-faced 2IC as he gracefully took his seat. "And good morning to you, Sir Raoul," he nodded with exquisite courtesy. "I must say I am simply covered in gratified astonishment to see you here. Seeing as this meeting was with me, I would have thought you'd have found at least some way to get out of it."

"My presence was requested," Raoul said stiffly, his deep green eyes glacially cold. "And my sense of duty is fortunately strong enough to surmount any personal aversions."

"Well, good for you Raoul," Tahna's huge violet eyes sparkled with secret delight. "It's not at all true what people say about you. You are capable of setting a good example."

Iason heaved a soft sigh and drew in a breath to speak, his rich mouth opening as he moved to call the small meeting to order before things got any more caustic. He was however unfortunately cut off by his own second when Raoul snorted derisively, a magnificently aloof look of disdain on his perfect face.

"Forgive me," Raoul purred silkily, "I had no idea you even knew what a good example was."

Pushing a heavy swathe of pale blonde hair back over one broad shoulder, Tahna chuckled almost fondly, as if Raoul's insults were the most amusing thing he had ever heard. "Oh, you'd be surprised at the things I know, Raoul," he replied.

"Correct etiquette, sadly, not being one of them," Raoul smiled blandly.

"Talking of protocol," Tahna said brightly, his expression artfully innocent. "After seeing you last night I really must ask... Is it absolutely necessary to keep that poor little redhead of yours fastened to your hip like that everywhere you go?"

Iason stifled a frustrated little groan as Tahna, as usual, homed in with uncanny accuracy on his victim's most sensitive spot. Bad enough that Raoul Am tended to lose his perspective around Tahna Lam at the best of times, without the acerbic Blondie spilling even more fuel on the fire by taking a shot at Raoul's personal relationship. It was actually quite out of character for Raoul to react in such a manner but then, Tahna had always been able to get under his old friend's skin. Even as much younger men, it had always been thus.

And, as much as Iason would like to be able to allow them space to clear the air, or at least get their grievances out in the open, now was not the time. He had a day's worth of appointments to attend to and he wasn't going to be able to do that sitting here watching this admittedly fascinating parody of a Ceres stand-off.

Raoul's eyes had narrowed with tightly held anger. "My Companion," he gritted out in a deathly quiet voice, "is not a subject that I will ever discuss with you, Tahna. I am well aware of your contempt for him, but if you—"

"My contempt?!" Tahna actually looked appalled for a second before rallying with his usual flair, pulling in a deep breath and drawing himself up haughtily. "The only thing I hold contempt for, Raoul, is your sad little insistence on drawing ridiculous conclusions." He shook his head as if flicking away an irritating insect. "I have actually developed quite a high level of respect for your excessively clever little mate. After all, I'm sure he truly deserves it for putting up with you."

Raoul barked a sharp huff of laughter. "One might say exactly the same thing of poor Chey Neeson."

Tahna eyes narrowed. "Oh touché, Raoul. Spoken like a proper bitch if ever there was one."

Iason pinched the bridge of his nose, attempting to stave off a burgeoning headache. "Gentlemen...," he began tiredly.

"But therein lies the proof of what I have suspected all along," Tahna forged ahead, cutting Iason off without even so much as noticing. "That, given the right opportunities, Raoul, you could indeed become an even greater pain in the posterior than you are right now."

"Oh I doubt that anyone could hope to master your exquisite performance in that area, Tahna," Raoul smiled slyly. "Not without ingesting some form of psychotropic compound, at any rate."

"Oh that's breathtaking psychology, Raoul," Tahna hissed at him. "Why not just say something nasty about my Sire?"

Raoul's smile didn't falter an inch. "I might feel justified in asking him for some manner of explanation."

"Oh. Well," Tahna's eyes flashed and he sat forward slightly, "if we're going to get into the petty recriminations, perhaps we can revisit a certain—"

"That is ENOUGH!"

Two slightly flushed and taut faces turned to face Iason, stunned surprise written across both flawless countenances. Two sets of beautiful eyes, one deep green and the other a striking violet, widened slightly in unease.

Iason shook his head, feeling abruptly as if he were two hundred years old. "It is unacceptable that I was actually required to raise my voice to you," he said severely, his pale gaze coldly pinning both Blondies in place.

"Raoul," Iason looked sternly at his dearest friend and trusted confidant. In truth he could empathize with Raoul's position. He knew how protective the man was of Katze, especially following the unfortunate incident of his kidnapping by Blaine Dal. And Tahna had, quite deliberately, implied an insult to the ex-Furniture with the sure knowledge that Raoul would not be able to let it go past unanswered. But, at the same time, Raoul was the 2IC of the Syndicate... he had met and indeed overcome, countless insults and challenges from various peers in his time at Iason's second, thus he should have been more than capable of controlling his reactions to Tahna Lam's deliberately impertinent observations. "You are well aware that Tahna receives great amusement from needling you, and yet you continue to rise to his bait."

"I know, Iason. I know that I do." Pulling a frustrated face at him, Raoul lifted an elegant hand with a vague apologetic gesture. "And I apologize."

Iason nodded at him, before turning to face the second antagonist, his gaze hardening like ice. "And as for you, Tahna..."

"Yes, I know," Tahna heaved a great put-upon sigh and shook his head. "'Modify my tone'."

Iason sat back, the tension slowly dissipating as he watched the two prickly Elites in front of him settling back into their chairs, adjusting their ruffled cuffs, sash-coat collars, dignity and feathers in that order.

"Now," he said at length, "in spite of the fact that bringing you two together did, as expected, result in the standard slinging match; I am reasonably certain that you, Tahna, asked me to secure Raoul's presence at this appointment for a legitimate reason?"

Flicking a brief and final baleful glance at Raoul, Tahna composed himself fully and nodded. "I did," he confirmed, "and oddly enough it was out of expediency." He smiled slightly, his expression changing, becoming oddly serious, even though the wicked sparkle remained in those beautiful eyes. "The question I will be asking, the decision that I will be requesting you to make, is quite significant and I felt another perspective would be useful."

"I see," becoming intrigued, Iason sat forward a little, peripherally noticing that Raoul was also now paying close attention, clearly as caught by the change in Tahna's manner as he was.

Tahna lifted one elegant shoulder and arched a sardonic brow. "Of course, I also know as a matter of course that even had I requested your presence alone, you would have discussed the matter in detail with the extra right side of your brain here, anyway..." he waved a casual hand at Raoul, ginning slyly as the Blondie bristled again.

"Tahna..." Iason said in a warning tone.

"Oh, I beg your pardon," Tahna bowed his head briefly, sounding anything but sorry; "I meant to say, that you and Raoul would no doubt debrief the matter in any case. Thus I felt it made sense to put it to you both at the same time."

Raoul made a soft sound of impatience from deep in his chest. "And what is the matter you wish to gauge our input on?" he asked tersely. "Really, Tahna, would it be too much to ask that you just come to the point for once?"

"Not at all," Tahna replied distantly, lifting his chin and shooting a haughty little look at Raoul down the length of his perfect nose. "I have received two requests to re-locate to Elldaren Prime. One has come from Charlotte Whitmore, head of the history and antiquities department of the Elldaren Prime University." He paused, his large eyes flicking back and forth as he waited for both Iason and Raoul to indicate their recognition of Charlotte's name and status.

Apparently seeing what he wanted, Tahna tilted his head and continued. "She has, on behalf of the University Board of course, offered me a rather lucrative twelve months secondment with the option to renew. Ostensibly they would like me to establish a new segment to the university's curriculum to encompass the ancient history and antiquities of New-Vincentia, to conduct a series of lectures across the federation and Amoi territories on the subject, and to head up a supplementary department at the university to develop and facilitate a post-graduate course. I have basically indicated that I am amenable to accepting the position."

Iason nodded slowly, filtering the details with his formidable mind. It was an impressive offer, that much was very true. But, Tahna had also made of point of saying there was more than one reason for him to consider leaving Amoian territory. Of course, Iason was no fool. He had a very good idea already what that second reason entailed. But there was a perversely evil little streak in him too, albeit much better hidden than Tahna's... and he wanted the man to say it.

"And the second request?" he prompted softly.

Tahna heaved a disgusted sigh, darting an almost expectant look in Raoul's direction. "Oh, you are going to have a field day with this one, Raoul," he muttered darkly.

Raoul arched a golden brow at him, his expression giving away nothing.

Tahna lifted his chin, meeting Iason's pale gaze with an almost challenging air. "Your dear friend, that disgracefully irritating creature that laughably refers to himself as a 'politician' rather than a reprobate..."

"Chey Neeson. Yes?" Iason shifted into a more comfortable position, crossing his legs and nodding at Tahna to continue, his enjoyment in the moment steadily rising.

"...has been pestering me to become his legally recognized spouse." Tahna shook his head sadly, looking positively persecuted. "Apparently, there is some antiquated ceremony involved in the process that he is absolutely insisting we perform. "

Raoul's deep velvet chuckle filled the office for a moment. "Oh dear, Tahna. Hoist upon your own petard there, were you?"

Tahna's eyes widened incredulously. "I beg your pardon?"

Iason gave up any semblance of control at that point. He smiled broadly, his own rich laughter joining Raoul's for a moment. "What he means, Tahna, is that you have finally met your match, correct?"

"I don't happen to think this is amusing!"

"Oh, but we do," Raoul manfully struggled to control the twitching of his lips. "That's the beauty of it. Chey Neeson set out to get you from the very first moment he saw you..."

"He did not!" Tahna flared, tossing his silken hair back with an agitated little jolt of his head.

"... and he succeeded," Raoul continued relentlessly. "I never would have believed it possible."

To Iason's enduring amusement, Tahna froze, mouth open, his diatribe abruptly cut off as Raoul's comments sank in on him. In a startling contrast to his earlier fire, the feisty Blondie suddenly heaved a deep resigned sigh and seemed to deflate, sitting back once more in his seat. "He did, didn't he?" he replied despairingly. "No doubt he had the whole thing planned out from day one."

"Well, he is a master strategist," Iason murmured, his striking eyes alight with high humor as he shared a knowing little glance with a vastly smug Raoul Am. "I should imagine the more you rejected him, the more dedicated he became to securing your affections."

Tahna huffed a disdainful little sound. "I just thought he was a glutton for punishment."

"Well, now you know better."

"Apparently, I do."

Raoul offered Tahna a look of mock-commiseration. "You've been well and truly had, Tahna."

Tahna shot him a look at the spoke volumes. "Oh, thank you so much for pointing that out. Brilliant powers of deduction, there."

"And you're going to accept his proposal, I assume?" Iason asked lightly.

Tahna's unfriendly gaze flicked back to him. "More than likely," he muttered sourly. "I mean, we've established that arguing with the ridiculously cunning individual is positively futile." His eyes narrowed dangerously. "I mean, he's just so... so damned reasonable about everything. It drives me utterly insane."

Raoul frowned at him, looking mildly puzzled. "Uh, Tahna?" he began delicately. "If I may make a suggestion..? Even for you – if you don't love him, don't accept him."

Tahna stared at him like he'd grown a second head. "I never said I didn't love him, Raoul," he snapped waspishly. "I happen to adore the wretched man. But, it has to be said, he seems to know just what to do to undermine every single shred of common sense I ever had."

"Love does have a way of doing that to you, unfortunately," Iason added with a sage nod.

"To coin an old phrase, Iason," Tahna huffed morosely, "Tell me about it."

"Alright," Iason held up one hand in an open gesture. "We've established the 'whys'... now, if I may, can we move on to the crux of this meeting? What exactly did you require our assistance or feedback on?"

Tahna set his broad shoulders. "Well, clearly, I am going to need to arrange a replacement." He smiled in a suspiciously evil little way, one pale brow quirking. "And... following last night's function at Partia, I think I may have come across the perfect candidate."

"Ah yes," Raoul mused, his striking eyes locked on Tahna's face, "I did notice you prowling the edges of the herd with your ears laid back and your tail twitching."

"Oh, so amusing."

Raoul smiled blandly. "What puzzles me is that you feel the need for our input. It's your department, Tahna – no one could deny that. I'm certain you are more than capable of choosing the right Elite for the job." Broad shoulders lifted briefly. "Generally, all Iason and I would need to do is sanction the choice once you'd presented it to us."

"I know the standard procedure, Raoul," Tahna said pointedly. He pulled a little face. "It's just that... I know I've found the right person but he's not what you might have expected, which is why I want your sanction before I make the offer to him."

Iason sat forward, a certain suspicion about exactly who Tahna had chosen beginning to solidify in his mind. "And who did you chose?" he asked in his deep silken voice.

Tahna smiled. "The Sapphire Elite, Laron Tak," he answered quite calmly.

In the silence that followed Tahna's announcement Iason once again shared an almost empathic look with his 2IC. Raoul had already been fully apprised of the situation involving Kyle Li and the hapless Sapphire that had worked for him, and the smile that now graced that beautiful face answered any number of questions that Iason might had thought to ask.

"Tahna," Iason said as he looked back into the Blondie's peculiarly hopeful violet eyes, "your choice... is absolutely perfect."

Tahna blinked. "I'm sorry – what?"

Raoul sat forward a little. "We agree with you Tahna," he added.

"I'm... excuse me," Tahna shook his head, looking somewhat flustered. "I'm not actually used to my colleagues agreeing with me."

Manfully controlling his expression, Iason tried again. "Well, in this case we do."

"Oh," Tahna looked a little crestfallen. "Hmm. That's actually rather a shame. I had some quite magnificent supporting arguments lined up that I won't get to use."

Sighing, Iason shot him a flat look. "Moving ahead once more, when are you planning to conduct the handover?"

"Well, assuming Laron accepts the offer, I would say the start of next week would be the perfect time."

"We'll conduct the standard ceremony, then?" Raoul asked, stroking his chin thoughtfully.

"Of course," Tahna's full mouth curved. "It must be seen, Raoul. It must be public; that is most important."

"Agreed," Iason got to his feet, signaling that the meeting needed to close. He bowed his head as Tahna and Raoul also rose. "Obviously you will submit the pertinent details to me once you've conducted your meeting with Laron," he raised a querying brow, "which will take place..?"

"Tomorrow morning," Tahna supplied, "At 8AM."

"Very good." Iason turned and gestured to the door of his office, courteously accompanying Tahna as he walked towards the exit. "Then I can expect your request for the handover ceremony shortly after?"

"You can," Tahna answered seriously. "I will make it my first priority. In addition, I will arrange everything regarding the function itself. All you will need to do, Iason, is turn up and ratify the decision." He cast a twinkling eyed little glance over his shoulder. "You're invited too, Raoul, I suppose."

Raoul merely arched a brow at him.

"Then we shall hear from you shortly." Iason said by way of farewell.

"You will." Nodding, Tahna stepped through the doorway. Upon the threshold however, he stopped and turned back, and odd little smile on his face. "Thank you," he said simply and, to Iason, his tone sounded remarkably sincere. With that done, Tahna turned and left without further word, leaving his two superiors behind, looking at each other with something very close to amazement in their eyes.

"Well," Raoul offered at last.

"Yes."

"Wonders will never cease."

Iason chuckled. "So it would appear." He glanced at the chronometer on the far wall of his office. "I feel the need to have a few moments out in the fresh air, my friend," he smiled warmly, showing this trusted man the clear shades of his affection. "Would you care to join me for lunch before our next appointment?"

Raoul nodded, a wealth of understanding and shared history passing in silence back and forth between them. "I would be delighted."

Walking side by side, broad shoulders almost touching, the Blondies left Iason's office to enjoy their brief respite.




The clear golden rays of the early afternoon sun were delightfully warm upon both soft fabrics and silken sweat dewed skin where they fell across the bed in the master bedroom of Laron's and Esra's apartment in Eos Tower.

Lying in the middle of the rumpled covers, trembling with the sweet pleasure/pain of arousal, his large warm brown eyes dazed and defenseless, Esra relaxed into his Sapphire's gentle hands, giving himself over to the utter bliss of being loved senseless, of being the absolute centre of Laron's concentrated sexual attention. Between his legs, the Elite was comfortably propped upon his elbows, his long fingered and deceptively elegant hands clasping Esra's lean hips in a firm grip, holding the ex-Pet steady as he sucked luxuriously at the young man's twitching cock, driving Esra slowly out of his mind.

He was clearly enjoying himself down there, Esra thought hazily, gasping and arching his back sharply as Laron zeroed in on a particularly sensitive spot; and he appeared to be a master of effectively edging him as well, allowing the pleasure, the delicious tight heat between Esra's legs to build and ebb with exquisite care, but never stimulating him quite enough to reach climax.

At least, not yet.

"Please..." Esra groaned weakly, shuddering, trying to get away and get closer at the same moment. He reached down blindly with one hand, threading his fingers through Laron's silk-soft wealth of shimmering dark hair. "Oh, please let me finish, Laron. I can't... I can't take it."

A deep, decidedly wicked chuckle met his pleading request. Shifting, sliding one warm hand away from Esra's angular hip and down under the firm swell of his backside, Laron began to concentrate his attentions to those places that he had learned were most sensitive. While he eased back to suckle at the tip of Esra's achingly stiff and blushing erection before pressing his tongue against the sensitized glans, stroking in a solid rhythm, he delicately slipped two long and elegant fingers up between the firm smooth cheeks of Esra's ass, seeking and finding his most intimate opening and gently breaching it, probing until his fingertips found that sweet sullen spot hidden inside Esra's hot channel. He pushed and stroked inside Esra body, applying a steady pressure up and outwards, massaging the swollen gland with exquisite care.

It only took a few more seconds for Esra to be completely lost in sensation. The combination of those clever fingers teasing his prostate and that hot wet mouth sucking him into oblivion was too much. He was too close, too primed for it following the extended bout of sensual-play Laron had subjected him to. Panting, Esra whimpered helplessly as his orgasm roared up. He was vaguely aware that this was going to be a big one, even as his muscles seized and clenched and his cock began to pulse in deep wrenching surges. He strained backwards, his pelvis lifting from the bed, his entire body arching tighter than a bow while he cried out hoarsely and spurted the hot evidence of his release into his lover's talented mouth.

He was only dimly aware of Laron venting a low and satisfied growl as he accepted what Esra helplessly gave to him. The ex-Pet was also hazily grateful for the powerful arms that wrapped around his midriff, holding him steady while he spasmed and twisted, coming incredibly hard, those warm strong hands pressing flat against the middle of his back, providing the required support.

After an endless white hot moment at the pinnacle of bliss and release, Esra was spent. He relaxed suddenly and completely, collapsing back to mattress, his sleek, sweet drenched chest heaving as he caught his breath, his dazed eyes filling with moisture and the strangest sound – half laughter, half sobbing – rising up from his throat.

Then Laron was there, smoothly scooting up the bed to take Esra into his arms, cuddling him close through the sweet post-release aftershocks that gripped his shivering body every few moments. His deep voice, soft and smooth as honey, murmured into his ear, hushing him, calming him, while those gentle hands moved over him, stroking his tangled hair back from his face, smoothing over his back, his flanks, his shoulders. Full soft lips moved over his face, gliding along the line of his jaw, brushing the bridge of his nose, catching his lips in slow searing kisses of affection and desire.

It was lovely... Being this man's lover.

A few more breathless moments passed as Esra came back to himself. He rolled over in the circle of Laron's arms to face him, one hand reaching downwards, stroking the muscled expanse of his chest and belly, before dipping lower, the fingers curling around the thick hot length of the Sapphire's own un-sated erection. He stroked him, firm and slow, smiling affectionately at the ripple of pained pleasure that crossed that beautiful face, at the so-soft groan that sounded from deep in his big chest.

With a sultry chuckle, Esra released his lover's straining cock and turned again, this time pressing the sweet curve of his rump up against Laron's erection, the silent message, the blatant invitation of the gesture very clear indeed. Smiling again at the somewhat pleased gasp behind him, Esra consciously relaxed his body – which in truth was quite easy to achieve considering the strength of the orgasm he'd just had – lifting one leg up and to the side and holding still while Laron lined up and pushed in, penetrating him with one slow and insistent stroke until he was fully seated in Esra's body, buried deeply within the tight and clinging heat of his lover's flesh.

Laron sighed, blissful and soft, against Esra's smooth shoulder. He rested his cheek against the ex-Pet's for a few moments and Esra chuckled again when he felt Laron smiling.

"It's easier now, isn't it?" he murmured, waiting while Laron simply rested inside of him, absorbing the closeness, the sensations. "I'm used to you now, so you just fit so perfectly in me."

"Yes," Laron breathless whisper sent sweet little shivers down the side of Esra's neck. "Like I was made to be here."

Esra reached back with one hand, linking his and Laron's fingers together. "You were. Didn't you know that?"

"I do now," Laron began to thrust, slow and deep, pulling out almost to the point of withdrawal before sliding deliciously back in to the hilt. "I love you Esra. I love you."

"I love you too, Laron. Forever," Esra closed his eyes, surrendering completely to Laron's desire, to his lover's need. He felt all-encompassing and earthily generous, loving the fact that his body could give so much joy to the tall and esoteric Elite spooned up behind him, thrusting so sweet and slow into his body, loving the fact that he could give this to his mate, that he had a choice in the matter.

That their entire afternoon following their mid-day meal had been mostly spent making love was not a surprise to Esra, and he certainly wasn't complaining. He and Laron had only been physical lovers for a few days and, although the Sapphire had come later in life to the joys of sexual and emotional intimacy, he had proven to be a gifted sensualist, willing to try almost anything if it felt good and entirely comfortable with both their bodies and the pleasure that could be experienced with them.

Of course it was only natural, Esra felt, to want to enjoy this newest and most pleasant of pastimes as often as possible while their mutual schedules meant that they had the opportunity to do so.

But there was another layer to the frequency and intensity of their congress. One that Esra was mostly aware of only on an instinctual level, although if pressed Laron might have been able to articulate it more clearly. They were coupling so frequently because it was necessary for both their healthy states of mind and for their relationship. Although neither of them knew this, to a greater or lesser degree, Iason Mink and Raoul Am had gone through a similar process with their own mates, as had every Elite who had entered an emotional and physical relationship. This powerful urge to engage in sexual closeness was reinforcing their bond; with each companion imprinting, 'marking' – for want of a better term, the other as their intimate territory. In time, of course, the urge would ease off a little, but for now it was as essential for the mates as breathing.

Either way, Esra was enjoying the process with an unconstrained sense of joy. He sighed, feeling the slow resurgence of sexual tension building in his loins once more as Laron moved inside him. He tightened his muscles a little, deliberately clamping down on Laron's shaft, chuckling at the strangled sound of approval that Laron grunted into his ear. His Sapphire tightened his arms around his chest, the thrusting of his solid hips beginning to increase in both pace and power as the Elite actively strained towards his own release and, with a few more hard thrusts, Laron pulled in a sharp breath, pushing deeply into Esra before growing still as his cock began to pulse, shivering while his climax washed through him, his breath hot and ragged against the smooth skin of Esra's neck.

In the quiet warm moments that followed, Laron carefully pulled out so that Esra could move again, rolling onto his back and looking up into Laron's deep blue eyes with absolute love, complete trust and devotion. And most pleasing of all to Esra was that he saw exactly the same thing reflected back at him from his Sapphire's gaze.

Beyond the window, outside in the real world, life and all its challenges awaited them both. And they would meet those challenges, Esra knew that.

Together, they could face and overcome anything.

But for now, Esra thought as he drew Laron down to him once more and kissed him deeply, such things could wait.



The journey itself... – chapter 19 << >> The journey itself... – chapter 21

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start